Sunday, September 9, 2012

Alma Chapter 2



2:11 - "...now the people of Amlici were distinguished by the name of Amlici, being called Amlicites; and the remainder were called Nephites, or the people of God..."
What name do we take upon ourselves?  Do we take upon us the name of Christ?  What other names?  Are those names worth having?
In my case, I am absolutely happy with the names I have.  While I was given some of the names at birth, other ones I have taken as I have lived here on Earth.  So far I think my favorite one is "husband", followed closely by "father"...but I also am happy with "son", "brother", and any of the family-related names that I have.  I am also happy with my given names - Adam, being named after the first man on Earth, and Gedeborg, our family name.  I also am happy with my middle name, Lee, which has taken on more meaning as my wife has family that also have the name of Lee.
One of the most important names that I have taken upon myself is the name                    of Christ - which I did when I was baptized in 1992.
We should be happy with the names we have taken on ourselves...if we aren't, then perhaps some changes to our lifestyle should be made.


2:28 - "...nevertheless, the Nephites being strengthened by the hand of the Lord, having prayed mightily to him that he would deliver them out of the hands of their enemies, therefore the Lord did hear their cries, and did strengthen them..."
The Lord is ready and willing to help us to succeed...we just need to put our faith in Him and cry unto Him.  Then we need to trust Him.  Sometimes He will help, sometimes not...but we need to be ready to do a lot more than we expect.  Of course, it depends on the situation, but still we need to work hard and trust the Lord.


2:30 - "...and it came to pass that Alma, being a man of God, being exercised with much faith, cried, saying: O Lord, have mercy and spare my life, that I may be an instrument in thy hands to save and preserve this people..."
When we strive to be men and women of God, and have a righteous cause, our faith will be stronger in being able to ask God for help in relation to this cause.  Our will becomes His will, through faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment