Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Jacob Chapter 2


2:2-3"...I, Jacob, according to the responsibility which I am under to God...magnify mine office with soberness..."
Magnifying our office is a theme used several times in the scriptures...we magnify our office with soberness, so we might rid our garments of their sins (D&C 24:3, Romans 11:13, Jacob 1:19).
In order to effectively magnify our office, we must have the Spirit with us so we know what needs to be done at the right moment (Jacob 1:19).

2:8-9"...it burdeneth my soul that I should be constrained, because of the strict commandment which I have received from God, to admonish you according to your crimes, to enlarge the wounds of those who are already wounded, instead of consoling and healing their wounds..."
This principle doesn't just happen during General Conference.  When I worked at EFY for a summer, I had a contrasting example.  I had one group of EFY kids that was disobedient, so I had to spend most of my time chastising them or exhorting them to be better.  I had another group that was very obedient.  Most of the time, I was able to discuss with them the doctrines of the Gospel.  If we are living righteously, we open ourselves up to so much more light and knowledge. Purity brings these blessings.  I wonder how General Conference would be if we were all obedient.
 
2:18-19"...But before ye seek for riches, seek ye for the kingdom of God..."
It's not "bad" to be rich...it's bad to take pride in our riches.  It's not "bad" to be poor...it's bad to be bitter in our poverty.  It's all about our attitude...how we deal with our situations.  There's always silver lining on every cloud.  Pollyanna had it right, I guess.
We need to look for the positive in every situation, and in everybody.
Elder Enrique R. Falabella discussed this, that he learned at an early age that happiness does not depend on money.  He recounts the story of going to the temple for the first time to be sealed with his family, feeling the peace which comes from knowing that you are an eternal family.  These are much greater riches.  Having material richness is nice...but it is nowhere close in comparison to eternal riches! (November 2007 Ensign, pg. 14-15).
This is why we should always seek first the kingdom of God.

2:24,27,30"...For if I will, saith the Lord of Hosts, raise up seed unto me, I will command my people; otherwise they shall hearken unto these things..."
Polygamy was an abomination only when it was practiced outside of the commandments of the Lord.  Abraham, Jacob, and Joseph each had multiple wives...but kept the commandments in doing so...unlike David and Solomon.
The Lord saw fit to reinstate polygamy during the early years of the Latter-Day church. Verse 30 shows why this is not inconsistent - "if I will...I will command my people; otherwise they shall hearken unto these things..."
The main point here isn't to defend polygamy, because currently we have the commandment to not practice it.  However, the point is that when we receive a commandment, we must follow it, whether it means beginning or ending a practice.

2:30"...For if I will, saith the Lord of Hosts, raise up seed unto me, I will command my people; otherwise they shall hearken unto these things..."
Sometimes we may receive a commandment or instruction that we may not understand or find very difficult.  We still need to act in faith and move forward, trusting in the Lord.  We will get the understanding eventually, but it won't come until after the trial of faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment