Tuesday, December 25, 2012

3 Nephi Chapter 19



19:6-10,17-35 - "...And they did pray..."
The word "pray" or "prayed" (etc.) is mentioned 28 times in this passage.
This is an important thing that the Savior taught them.  It was the first thing that he taught after telling them to ponder and come prepared the next day.
It's important that we pray continually and in the correct manner.


19:22 - "...Father, thou hast given them the Holy Ghost because they believe in me; and thou seest that they believe in me because thou hearest them, and they pray unto me; and they pray unto me because I am with them..."
I haven't quite understood this verse for a long time, so if you have any insights, let me know in the comments below.
The thing that confuses me is why the people were praying to Jesus Christ instead of God.  Perhaps they were confused.  It doesn't appear that Jesus corrects them at that time - maybe he thought it wasn't something that needed to be corrected.  Or perhaps he did correct them, and it wasn't recorded, which is definitely possible.
It has been my understanding that we are supposed to pray to Heavenly Father in the name of Jesus Christ, so that's why I had that confusion.


19:28-29 - "...Father, I thank thee that thou hast purified those whom I have chosen, because of their faith..."
This is another great blessing of faith - purification!  If we are faithful, and endure our pains and afflictions while following faithfully the words of God, the Savior, and their servants, we can and will be purified.  It doesn't have to wait until after this life.  That's a great blessing made possible by the Atonement!

No comments:

Post a Comment